Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To Kate or Not To Kate That Is The Question

Many years ago I wrote a book called In Real Life I'm Just Kate.  It did very well for me; there was a Fawcett paperback version, a TV movie option and was my doorway into daytime television.


Then when digital came around, I OCRed it (ugh) gave it an update and published it as Just Kate.  This is the far superior book.  I'm smarter now than I was then, a much better writer.

At GoodReads, the older book gets better reviews than the new one.  I don't know if people are aware there are two versions/editions.  I don't know if they're reviewing something they once read.  I actually don't know anything.  What I also don't know is how there are people waiting to read books that have been out of print for 30 years.  Are they still in libraries?  I am shocked if libraries have the space to hang onto them.

I don't know whether or not to be shocked or amused by 2 star reviews that begin "I think this book is cunfusing..." or "it's hard to trak the characters..."  But I like it a lot that BN puts these right alongside the 5 star reviews that say "This is as good as Hunger Games!"  Whoever you are, you're cute.

My mistake is that I try to find a rational component to reviews.

But you do want people to like your work so it's all pretty cunfusing.

No comments: