Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Commersh Or Not To Commersh

"And the freebies under KDP Select are simply stacking up on people's Kindles without producing increased regular sales."

This is from I.J. Parker, a professor, who has been writing a historic mystery series set in Japan for quite a few years.  Once published by Pengy, they dropped her.  IIRC her agent also dropped her and she went into digital because if she didn't that was the end of the road.  The Dragon Scroll.

So what do we learn from this?  Hey, that not every genre experiences fantabulous results from a stint with KDP or freebie.

If you're writing or can write a commercial mainstream type book then, as in Big 6 Days, you will probably be successful pretty darn quick.  If you're writing something off-beat that needs to be found, I don't see that KDP helps much.

So what does help?

I have no idea.  That's why I said I wasn't going to think that much about it anymore.  I'm writing...for me now.
I wrote a scene over the weekend that was so gorgeous I sat back and was sort of paralyzed.  There wasn't another word left to be said.

I'm not going to take a trip to Tuscany on what I make but if I can pay my bills, that's a very good thing.

No comments: