Thursday, April 5, 2012

Forsythia's In Bloom

I could tell you about all the bad things that happened to one of my programs on my computer but I won't.  For someone who doesn't mind changes, it's not a big deal.

Without telling you the story--because you should read the book!--I will say that my current project is a little bit like a prism.  No, not like a Rubik's Cube.  If you hold a prism and turns it around and around the light hits it in different ways and each time it's a little bit different.  They're all flat surfaces.  Not like a kaleidoscope.  That just glass shards.  If that's an image that works for you, think of it that way but it's not there for me.

I don't like making a lot of decisions up front.  I'd like to know where I'm going but I don't want to know how I'll get there.  (Maybe it's like the Fool Card in the Tarot.  He's not paying attention to where he's going, he just trusts that some ground will be under his foot with the next step.)   And turning the prism and reflecting on the different planes that present themselves is how I want to work.  You can still get to the destination but the journey may switch several times.

I thought I knew what this story was.  I knew the last scene.  I knew the last sentence.  And then as I was wondering where book 2 would go, I thought, oh yeah, that's obvious.  The prism turned and another flat sparkling surface presented itself and it was completely a surprise.  It made it all quite exciting.

Nikon D7k 40mm micro

No comments: