Saturday, October 1, 2011

Overnight Success

I didn't watch the first season of American Idol, missing Kelly Clarkson, but I watched all the other years.  Especially with Carrie Underwood, who I loved, I wondered "How do you learn how to do this?"   What kind of background do you have to be able to walk out in front of all these people and sing sort of professionally.

Then I saw a bio of Carrie and saw she'd been singing and performing since she was a little girl.  Okay.  That explains a lot. 

This week on X Factor Josh Krajcik shows up.  He couldn't be more disheveled.  So here's the whole segment.  Pay special attention to Simon rolling his eyes.

"What are you going to sing?"
"At Last."
"Really?"  I cringed along with Simon.  Oh please not.
Then see what happens at the second word out of Josh's mouth.


x

How do you learn how to do this?  Oh I'm just a simple burrito slinger.
Yeah.
So I found this on youtube.  Now I understand what LA Reid was saying at the end.  It was a performance.
Josh was looking for max impact.  He was playing us.



Mom knew what she was talking about.

Overnight success takes that investment of 10,000 hours.

No comments: