Friday, October 7, 2011

I'm So Confused!

Not me but someone who read something I wrote and completely got it wrong.
I'm not exactly a beginner at this writing thing and while I will allow that in quick posts to forums and even this blog, things don't always come out as you intend.  I already know this and take care to be as clear as possible.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to be as clear as required to allow everyone to speed read with earbuds in, playing Doom, and having 20 other things going on and still get what you're attempting to convey.

Try to be as clear as you can.  Try to use words people recognize--I know that's dismaying but it's good advice at this point, and especially since we seem to be hurtling to a world market where readers may be pretty good in English but not as sharp as a native American (can I say that???).

I don't think there's any solution for this and a lot of bad reviews are a result of bad reading.  Someone is just not paying attention and thinking.  I should make up a sign "Thinking Required".  But I didn't, I worked on this autumnal photo from 1906.


James Whitcomb Riley. 1853–1916
 
When the Frost is on the Punkin

WHEN the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock, 
And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock, 
And the clackin' of the guineys, and the cluckin' of the hens, 
And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence; 
O, it's then the time a feller is a-feelin' at his best,        
With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest, 
As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock, 
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.  

No comments: