Sunday, February 12, 2012

Life Is Just a Tea Cup of Truffles

Well you think this will be easy to create a clickable Table of Contents but it's not.  And I'm not sure why they're needed in a novel (are there tables of contents in tradpub novels--not the ones on my bookshelf) or a short booklette but as I said yesterday I got a complaint.  So I took 8 hours out of my day and 2 hours out of my pal's day, to try to satisfy this Amazon crisis.

Here is a link that explains it the clearest of any for those of you using Word.
http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/word-2007-create-an-automatic-table-of-contents/


Don't get your hopes up, it's not close to automatic.


It's rare to have a problem with BN formatting, and that is now holding true at Smashwords--good on you, Mark.
I don't think I ever upload anything to Kindle that I don't have to immediately before I click publish, start trying to figure out why it doesn't look on screen the way it does in Word or Expression Web.  Unfortunately I'm a writer not a computer geek, hidden buried codes, why things aren't perfectly aligned after you strip the formatting and reformat to center--I just don't have an answer for that.

And for free?  This is what I mean.  They're getting something for free and they want it full length, perfect, exactly what they expect, the characters to behave exactly how they want them to behave, the spelling and word choices to suit their own personal experience and if you don't do that for them, you're stupid and lazy and taking advantage of them.

It'll be interesting to see where this leads.

No comments: