Sunday, June 10, 2012

Amazon Buys Avalon

This came as a complete surprise to me and I suppose everyone.  Amazon isn't very leaky.  We know there's a new Nikon on the horizon but not much gets out of Amazon until there's a press release.

So why did Amazon buy Avalon?  I'm trying to figure this out.  This is a first, isn't it?  So they got 3000 books in the deal.  Wow.  Logistically, that's a lot of books to digitize considering that I can't think of one of the Big Six who is bothering to digitize their backlist.  I have no idea when Avalon began asking for digital copies of the manuscript but mine was in Word so that was late 2009.  That will make the process easier but still someone has to input these files.  We won't even talk about all the writers who would like to make changes, that includes me.



Avalon had strict guidelines.  I had a really cute scene where the guy is cooling off in a pond and the girl comes upon him and says "Weren't you clever to bring a bathing suit with you" and he says "I didn't".  That had to be cut as being too risque.  Mock on elitists as to how squeaky clean the Avalon books are but some people want that.  Apparently Amazon believes there's a strong market for it.

Avalon books were never sold in stores, they only went to libraries and in the past few years libraries were ceasing to buy the entire season's worth as they were released, so that had to put a huge dent in the business.  It will be very instructive to see how Amazon goes about marketing these books, how they reach the audience who wants a sweet and softer view of life. 

Supposedly Avalon writers are receiving a welcome package from Amazon/Montlake tomorrow so I'll know more then.  I hope.

I am beyond thrilled to have a book published by Montlake, if you were wondering, at all.  I don't care about the contract.  I don't care if they hold to the 25% ebook royality under the Avalon contract, or bump up to 70% .  I would give them Love In The Air because the visibility that will give me can only help my other books.

Now if they would consider taking Nothing Serious which I pulled from Avalon so I could self-publish it on Amazon, I would be a very happy girl.

No comments: