Sunday, January 2, 2011

WHAT???

coming in 2011.
  1. Self-publishing lost its stigma
    rinzler.jpgIn today's tight traditional publishing market, agents, editors, and publishers are now encouraging authors to test market their book by self-publishing. Yay! Self-publishing has finally lost its stigma. So if you've been dissed by agents in the past, 2011 might be your year to try again. Alan Rinzler is a longtime acquiring and developmental editor at major publishing houses and an independent editor with private clients. "Literary agents have been the missing link for self-published writers trying to break through into mainstream publishing," he states in Literary agents open the door to self-published writers. "But new attitudes are taking hold, especially among younger up-and-coming literary agents."


http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2010/12/2010-the-year-self-publishing-lost-its-stigma363.html

Are you on drugs?
Yes.  Literary agents are the missing link.  There was a find of really old teeth in a cave near Jerusalem recently.  DNA testing proved they belonged to the now extinct category of pre-humans called Literarius Agentinius.
Geez!  Why would you try to break into mainstream publishing now???  Go back and reread Joe Konrath's last post.
Last month I sold nearly 900 copies of books mainstream publishing donned a necklace of garlic to avoid.  They would have held up a cross but anything smacking of religion (except Islam) is like Kryptonite to them.
What do I care what tradpub thinks of me anymore?
Diss me once, shame on you.  Diss me twice?  I don't think so.

Whistling past the graveyard much?

2 comments:

gniz said...

I agree with you and I don't have anything close to the amount of sales you've gotten in December alone.

Although I have a book with an agent and it will likely go out to publishers early this year, I hardly even think about it these days. In fact, when I do consider it, I think that it might be nice if every publishing house rejects it and I can make a REALLY big push with it on Amazon and B&N, using everything I've learned publishing my previous 5 books.

Funny how my attitude has completely reversed itself in under a month. After decades of feeling like my work wouldn't be valid without a publishing deal, I now am almost hoping that i DON'T get a deal.

After all, getting a deal now could leave my newest book tied up in some kind of purgatory if it fails to sell and I won't have the rights to publish it online myself anymore...

Irony of ironies.

Aaron Niz
epublishersmanifesto blog

Barb said...

The ebook situation is very much in flux, moving very fast and I also have gone through several stages. Last month proved to me that the audience is changing, broadening. I thought I knew what I was going to do next but now I'm rethinking where to invest my time.

I wish you the best experience possible, Aaron, and do keep us informed about your journey in tradpub. You may well help someone else and that's what this is all about.