Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Update on the Uploading

Apparently Nook takes .docx but Kindle chokes on it.  It accepted the .doc file with no trouble at all.
Just a little small problem--most of the formatting is gone.

Both Nook and Kindle want text that has the first line of each paragraph indented.  No spaces between the paragraphs.  (Smashwords is the opposite.)

What I have now is no space and no indent as shown by the screenshot of the kindle emulator.

Again, it's fine in Word so I don't know how to fix it unless I strip the formatting and redo it in hopes that pleases kindle.

What annoys me is that while the big boys go to their fake war over the standard format the rest of us have to tolerate the chaos.  I hate the proprietary stuff.  Windows Media player insists on what they want.  iTunes insists on something different.   I hate the Apple insists on you using a Mac to upload to their bookstore.  Just settle on one thing and let's get on with it!

That's what I hate.  What I love is that, apparently,  reading between the lines and putting together the hints, Amanda Hocking turned down a big publishing deal in favor of continuing on her own.  Brava Amanda!  Score one for the people.

No comments: