Monday, January 31, 2011

Paper Versions

I started this experiment with Impossible Charlie in 2008 I think it was.  I formatted it myself (however crudely that might be said by some of the small actual self-publishers)  with the help of my pal.  This was so painful and so difficult, I was glad to be done with it and vowed never to do it again.

I did research all the major printers and went with Lightning Source.  It's a real printer, they do about 44 million books a year.  I think CreateSpace uses them.  If the address is in TN, probably yes.  They don't hold your hand, they don't help except if the thing is too wrong to print.  I don't suggest anyone do this because, boy, I don't want to do it again.

But every month for the last 3 months, I get a notification from Lightning Source that they'd printed and shipped copies.  Not before Nov. tho.  Nothing.  I sold a few (under 5) in the intervening years but once Summer Horse started selling and dragged Charlie/Dream Horse with it, people are choosing paper books.

I still think it's too much work but if you want to, it's probably worth the experience.

No comments: