Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Cover For Sweeps

Cover art can often be problematic.  If you're already a good artist, you are golden.  Most of us aren't that fortunate.  I started my freshman year in college thinking I would be an art major and within a week I was a photography major.  But I don't know how often a photo is really useful as artwork.  Altho I don't see me changing the cover of Bad Apple anytime soon (ever) and I did that photo.

I've been struggling with Sweeps for...from the beginning.  I still don't think that's the right title for it but I never come up with something better.  Since it's been selling a little bit at Amazon this month, I'll stick with Sweeps.  But the cover doesn't really do it justice.  I considered hiring a designer but I never got a clear sense of what he intended for the quite substantial amount of money he wanted.  Then I learned that HP Mallory bought the cover art and used Photoshop to tinker it together.  I decided to search the stock image sites again, this time looking for vector art instead of photography.  I found her image so I knew I was on the right track.  I found an image I thought I could work with. 

There were a couple issues with this image I liked well enough.  Since it was intended for Valentine's Day, it was loaded with hearts.  That didn't help me.  If I wanted to stay with Sweeps and the soap opera inflection, I needed to get rid of the hearts, the box of candy and find a free broom.  I would like to change the skin tone but every time I changed it, everything else also got dulled down/a pink cast over it.  Someday I'll go back and try to figure that out but I have too much to do to be hung up on something that won't bother anyone else.

Yes, it would have been nice to have a guy in the image, too.  I couldn't find that.  I don't think I can learn how to do vector art, nor am I artistically inclined enough to come up with the right ideas.  So you make do.

This is the image I'm uploading to Amazon today.

No comments: