Wednesday, January 5, 2011

For Your Entertainment and Approval

I present Hal Roach.

Some years ago I worked on a proposal for a book with that title.  For a while in the early 1930's that's how the Hal Roach movies began.  Two girls would come on stage and say "For your entertainment and approval, Hal Roach presents his Rascals....We thank you."

I always loved Our Gang/The Little Rascals and TCM is doing a marathon yesterday and today.  They're showing the silents, one is on as I write and I've never seen those before.  I think I know the dialogue of all the talkies by heart.  But as I was walking past the television, I realized there was something for us to learn.  Not only from Hal Roach who was a genius at all things comedic but from how the Our Gang movies came about.


He was in his studio office, looked outside his window and there were kids playing.

That's what it took.  If you believe there is wonderment in the smallest moments of life, story will be available to you.  You only need to observe life.  It's happening all around you in its complexity and in its simplicity.   Hal Roach decided he would tell the stories of these children and created film history.

For a brief overview Hal RoachOur Gang.

Hal Roach

No comments: