Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fleeting Success

First, because the formatting won't let me put it at the end, I have come to a conclusion about vampires.  I've been thinking about this whole issue (not the vampire part that's a big yawn but what's behind it) for years, unfortunately the discussion doesn't perhaps belong on this blog.  Amanda Hocking nailed the situation as well as could be, that probably accounts for her enormous success with her series.  She tapped into exactly what concerns people.  As written, it explains everything.  I'm not sure how obvious that is to most people reading the books but still it's there.

I will still say I'm curious about the transformation from---no I'm not, sorry, I do understand it.  Not to leave you  completely hanging--there is a clue that exists in the arc of how vampires were originally portrayed to the way they're portrayed now.  This is the key to opening the door to figuring out this "phenomenon".

The first time I saw the explanation for this general question was in Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.  As with everything he writes, this is a very dense book, layer built upon layer.  And it's a wonderful adventure tale.  But again, maybe Umberto and I just make life too complicated.

On to temporal successes.   These things change by the hour and it would be better if it was in kiddie lit per se the way Summer Horse was at BN, but still this is very nice and again, what's selling sells.

Dream Horse

No comments: