Saturday, January 29, 2011

Anomalies and Abuse

I thought last month was an anomaly because of the holidays but I'm very much at the same sales point at BN as I was last month at this time.  I'm way over any previous month at Amazon.  

A few years ago I used to hang around Absolute Write.  It's a nice community of (mostly jolly) writers.   Maybe newbie writers don't understand how they will be abused by this system.  Some people maybe even enjoy it--some people are that strange.   You can learn how certain agents behave so that's always good but what's the point of an agent anymore?  These people used to be facilitators now they're roadblocks.  They don't even keep their irritation to themselves anymore.  They have blogs and spew their meanness to writers in general.  Why?  Doesn't this seem self-defeating to anyone but me? 

If you think there is an unlimited pool of good writers who will eventually show up at your inbox offering you the pleasure of making money off of them, I guess it seems reasonable you can treat many of them like debris (you know the word I wanted to use).  That pool is not unlimited.  At some point either every good writer (shrug/eyeroll) will have an agent and it's not you, or the rest of the good writers will have had enough abuse and go digital.



Back in Nov. I sent an editor at NAL a proposal for a book series.  Just to remind everyone, that would not be my first series either in books or in television.  I have demonstrated to 4 million people a day that I can write a continuing story.  (Yes, that was my audience at NBC)  She has not yet gotten back to me.  What's the problem?  It was about 4 pages long.  I bet I never hear from her.  And she thought I was a good writer.

You'll be treated to a guest post today or tomoro, sorry I'm under the weather and not able to accomplish much.

1 comment:

Shelia Huggins said...

Will you discuss more specifically your sales in Dec as it compares to this month and the marketing that you did or didn't do. I think a lot of people thought that Dec would be an anomaly.

www.peelingcheek.wordpress.com