Friday, January 14, 2011

It's Either I'm Very Nosy

Or "You're really a good listener," so said John Valenti (Hi, John.)

The truth is I'm both.  I'm very nosy but I apologize.  Like today at WalMart, the cashier was talking to the customer behind me and I couldn't avoid hearing so I listened.  Tanya (not her real name!) looked young, but tired, and said she had a child grown and on her own already.  I thought she was 26 tops.  But she was in her thirties and proceeded to start on her life story.  I interrupted and said "I'm sorry if I'm being too nosy and don't tell me if you don't want to.  Where's the father in all this?"

Tanya apparently wanted to tell her story.  People just want to be heard.  If you're listening to them, they're visible.  I think that's what "good listener" means.

My rabbi is a very unique person.  In Chassidic teachings, the importance of focusing your attention on what you're doing is stated time after time.  Listen to the people, honor their life by paying attention to them.   When you're reading, read for meaning, pay attention  If you're writing, pay attention to what you're doing.  Life shouldn't be slap dash, trying to get through this part so you can get to the next part faster.  This part is important or you wouldn't be here.

So poor Tanya had a tough life but picked herself up, got on track and is managing quite well.  I hope my interest in her story made her feel better this morning and I hope she knows she made an impression on me.

Good Shabbos

No comments: