Friday, August 26, 2011

The Old, the Dying Off and the New


This postcard was something I worked on yesterday in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Is Konrath really correct that the deal John Locke just signed with Simon & Schuster marks the death knell for legacy publishing?   I'm not as sure as he is.  That S&S gave up the erights is a big deal but will this hasten the demise or are we going to see them struggling along, flailing out for years?  There's a part of me saying "Just die already".  But what does it have to do with me?  Nothing at all.

I suppose some paper books will always have a utility.  I got a couple cookbooks in digital format and really hated it.  Maybe I can get used to it.  And yes, I formatted the Verrine book to not be as bloody annoying as the other cookbooks--it's more like a novel.  And it's not in PDF which is horrid always to begin with.

I'm going to be OCRing one of my backlist books in the coming weeks.   It's a quite intensive process so I expect to be quite cranky about it.  And OCR isn't perfect so you have to do a concentrated proofread to find the mistakes.  That's why I wasn't going to do it at all.  I do have other books in my backlist and it's hard to start working on them for any reason without doing a rewrite/update.  It becomes so involved.  Good for anyone who can avoid all this hassle with it!  That's not me, though.  But since this book is now in another language that I don't speak, rewriting is impossible.

Forget the Hindu translations.  That ain't happening.  Amazon India or not.

Update--The heck with that time waster.  The OCR program couldn't read what was near the gutter even though it scanned it perfectly well.  I'm not going through 163 pages in a foreign language line by line trying to figure out what wasn't scanned correctly.  I have real things to do.


No comments: