Thursday, August 11, 2011

99 Cent Price Point (It's The End of The World As We Know It....)



Oh geez, I forgot the embed alert.  I'm posting copyrighted music.  Are we even allowed to listen to this???  Turn your ears off!  The aural police are coming for you.

Here's an article/rant  TheCrisisDocument that maybe you could get thru, I couldn't.  The gist of it is amid the great lamentations and gnashing of teeth--heck, the guy's a musician not a writer, but it could have been said in a quick paragraph--people don't value music anymore.

Well since most of what's currently pushed at us is total crap, he's right, I don't value it.  Um...is there more to say?

Oh yeah and what's partially to blame is iTunes.  With their 99 cent price point.

I've already said I don't like the 99 cent price point.  I already said I think it devalues books in general, mine in specific.  But it's reality, it's what we have to deal with.  If you're not a commercial writer, and I'm not, then this is not the best of all possible worlds.  If you're a commercial writer, you will make your fortune in volume.

This is the free market system.  There are not equal outcomes.  Life is not fair.  You can't legislate it into fairness.  No human is wise enough to do it, although they keep trying as demonstrated by any number of governments around the world in various stages of collapse even as I type this.  You want equal outcomes go to North Korea--everyone eats bark for breakfast and they're all starving.  And none of them have electricity.

Satellite photo at night North Korea at top South Korea at bottom


I'll stop before I get into a philosophical/religious discussion.  The bottom line is you can't put toothpaste back in the tube.  Deal with it.  Make music people will want to buy.  Write books people will want to buy.

No comments: