Saturday, August 27, 2011

Amazon's $99 Tablet

The Price Is Right

Well.  LOL.  What did I say?  I said the minute I got the Nook Color Bezos would bring out a cheaper tab and here we go.

Amazon is poised to enter the tablet fray with an Android-powered tablet in late September or October, a source with knowledge of the plans said yesterday.
The device will sell for hundreds less than the entry-point $499 iPad, a feat few tablet makers have accomplished, the source said.

Amazon can take a loss, the point is moving books.  And is Amazon ever going to move tablets and in turn books.  Even in a bad economy $99 for a tablet computer is a fantastic deal.  $99 for a reader that's a 1-trick pony is a "good" deal but not an exciting one.  This changes Christmas big time.

Newsflash: Downloads of Angry Birds soars.


After test driving the NC for about 6 months now, it's plenty big for anything I want to do with it.  I think the iPad is probably swell and great and fun.  But it's big.  Where do you put it.  And does it really replace a desktop or a laptop/something with an actual keyboard.  I'm not writing a book on the Nook or an iPad.  Ain't happening.  I want to be at the PC and type.  Maybe I'm a dinosaur, maybe you "can" write a book or format a magazine or a newspaper on an iPhone but if we're to be reasonable adults no you can't.  The resolution isn't there, you need to see things big.  Maybe in another 5 or 10 years people won't say that.  As a photographer, I will be very surprised to SEE that happen.



No comments: