Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sailing Into Sales

Amazon has never been as great for me as some other authors.  It's a different readership than B&N.  Last month, Not Low Maintenance started coming into its own and reached a nice milestone by yesterday midnight.  It was very pleasant.  Like Sweeps, it's been in the Top 100 of its category for quite a while so it gets found.  No, there's no graphic sex.  Yes, it's more about food than shoes.  Definitely, it's about setting the groundwork for a relationship that will last the rest of Viva and Joel's lives.  So sure it's not like everything else.  If it was like everything else some agent and editor would have recognized that much--they're not schtoopid.  I'm not in the least bit disappointed it wasn't tradpubbed.  I'm glad I got to do it myself.

I just want to cheerlead for a moment.  Don't be disappointed if you start slow.  Just keep writing.  Maybe it'll take a year for your readers to find you.  Don't be discouraged.  You know the reality as well as I do.  There are always new readers coming online.  There are always new outlets and new ways to be found.   Be proud of being a non-conformist.  If you give your audience your best work, you have nothing to regret.

No comments: