Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dream Horse

As I've said, Amazon hasn't been great for me.  For months the juvenile books didn't sell at all.  Most of them still don't while at B&N they're stars.

So imagine my pleasure over Dream Horse's performance lately.  The audience changes, there are shifts in the tides.  Put your best work out there and keep going forward.

 
I feel like I should say something about reviews.  I learned early in my career to ignore them.  The notion that you can treat them all equally is silly.  One that praised you will be processed differently than one that doesn't appreciate the work.  I find them somewhat entertaining at this point.

I had a poor review on Kate recently and it didn't have to do with the inability to download the file.  Yes, B&N still hasn't managed to remove those rants 8 weeks later.  People are quirky.  They've had their own life experiences, educational experiences and have issues going on around them which can all impact how a story sits for them. 

It's good to reflect on what the review says.  Do you think there's any truth to it?  Does that make a difference to you now or in the future?  

The reality is you can't please everyone and you're better off not trying.  If you're not already the kind of writer who can attract a broad audience by not offending anyone, then you sort of hit the jackpot.  If you're not that kind of writer, I don't know how you become one.


No comments: