Wednesday, March 30, 2011

History

French addition of Impossible Charlie

It occurred to me yesterday on Dream Horse's Kindle page, it also lists the original Impossible Charlie, my paperback version of Impossible Charlie and of course, the Kindle of Dream Horse.  Why on Kate's page isn't the original In Real Life I'm Just Kate listed as well as the Fawcett paperback?  How did Amazon know to do it for Charlie but not Kate?  So I wrote to ask.  When I get an answer I'll let you know.

Above you can see pictured the original French version of Impossible Charlie.  I got pocket change as an advance in those days then nothing ever again.  But if you look on Amazon, you'll see another French version published well after the rights reverted to me.  I was never notified, there was no contract and certainly no money.  So basically some French person stole my intellectual property from me.  And it's not worth it to pursue them because they're in Europe and the cost of the legal fees would vastly outweigh anything I could get in return. 

What does any of this have to do with now, sure it's history but so what?  Because like a partial amnesiac there are whole areas of my career I haven't thought about for years.  Why?  Because they would be held against me.
Class?  Does anyone know the answer to this question?  Who, in the publishing business, would hold your history
against you?  Bueller?  That's right.  Editors and Agents.  

For years I had two resumes.  The long one with everything on it.  And a short version which was tweaked with each new query so that information wouldn't be used or held against me.  There was the non-juvenile lit version.  There was the non-television credit version.  There was the non-nonfiction version.  There were permutations all around.

As I was looking for that Charlie book, I found a French copy of my first book Ride A Proud Horse.  I swear to you, I didn't even remember it existed.  

Talk about down the Memory Hole.

UPDATE:  That was fast.  I heard back from Kindle support.  They have linked all versions of Kate and the reviews will also be put on the Kindle page (which will balance out those of the feral children.)   There was a part of the explanation that eludes me, however.  All editions must have the same title for them to be linked.
Impossible Charlie
Impossible Charlie
Dream Horse


How does that figure?

No comments: