Friday, March 4, 2011

Handwringing Over The 99 Cent Book

There's an article in ZDnetAsia about the 99 cent ebook.

http://www.zdnetasia.com/rise-of-the-99-cent-kindle-e-book-62207374.htm

Read it if you'd like.  I can hardly untangle it.  It's bad it's good.  You can't tell the vetted/tradpub books from the crappy indie books except by price.  

Wait.  What about my tradpub books whose rights reverted to me?  My perfectly vetted books published by Atheneum.  Are you gonna turn your snoot up at those?

So wait again.  We're to believe the heavily in-house rewritten Danielle Steele books are better literature than anything indie.  I've read tradpub books (well, I started them I couldn't finish them) that were unreadable as well as stupid.  One was a historical mystery that was grossly anachronistic.

I don't think much of this argument.  There are very badly written and edited indie books.  I wish that wasn't so but it is so.  There are also very badly written and produced tradpub books.  In my book for Avalon, one editor rewrote a passage for me because I'm a big fat dope.  Unfortunately she doesn't know the first thing about flying beyond sitting in the seat and watching the movie and I have a pilot's license so I had to explain the difference between altitude and attitude.  Not an unimportant difference if you'd prefer not to drill the plane into the ground.

You know you're over the target when you start taking flak.  Ebooks are a threat to them or we wouldn't keep hearing this bs.

No comments: