Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tracht Gut, Zain Gut

Oh great, she's devolving into Yiddish now.  Translation please!

Think good and it will be good.

What does that mean?  Isn't that magical thinking?  This isn't a Harry Potter movie and all the New Age chanting doesn't effect the real world.

If *you* think good *you* will feel better.  Your life will be more pleasant to live if you think positively.  If you are smiling, you will make other people feel better, even if it's by one iota.  Have you ever had someone smile at you and it changed your day?

I used to drive to the New York City ABC studio every day.  I drove through Harlem and entered Central Park at the north entrance.  It was the short cut.  Nearly every single day I saw a quite mature woman jogging.  She wore these baby blue long shorts.  Saw her every day.  I named her Harriet.  One day, I have no idea why, I waved at her.  She waved back.  I was stunned.  I was elated.  I was absolutely over the moon.  I went into the studio and told everyone.  I felt visible to this stranger in the park.  It was a transformative experience.  Later I read her obituary.  Her name was Gwen and she had been a school teacher her entire adult life.  This was a teacher.  She knew how to connect and she knew how to teach.  She connected with me and taught me a valuable lesson. All it took was a smile and a wave.

I hang around (too many) political type forums, and I read Joe Konrath's blog.  It seems to me that wherever I go there are people who really enjoy being negative.  They enjoy making other people doubt themselves, doubt that good things can happen, doubt there's a future, doubt that we can overcome our difficulties (doubt there's a God).  I don't know how many posts I've made to forums basically echoing Edina Monsoon "Cheer up!  It ain't that bad!"

I don't understand this psychology and in this case, I don't want to. Life is hard.  Life is like an obstacle course.  Everyone has challenges.  Some tackle the problems head on, others ignore them, still others cave.

We're perched on the brink of a new year.  For those of you feeling doubts or fears, try to be a little braver each day.  Emulate someone who was courageous in the face of a predicament.  For those of you willing to cave, geez, keep it to yourself.  Why spread it around and bring everyone else to your level of misery.  For those of you who have a positive outlook, spread it around!  We need you.

Look around the world.  Everywhere you can see evidence that it is far easier to destroy than to create.  What side do you want to be on?  Make a positive difference in the world.  Contribute something good.  Contribute yourself.


No comments: