Friday, May 13, 2011

Artificial Publishing Ease

I have frequented one blog, gee, I think longer than any other, because it draws intelligent, astute comments and I have unbounded admiration for the host.  I offer you a snip from a comment on a recent thread about a blogger (who I never heard of) who was quitting.

"the artificial publishing ease created by the blogosphere removed all barriers that held back the would-be writer. When the internet made writing accessible to all, many people showed that they could do it, but it never really became a part of who they were. It was a hothouse atmosphere that spawned many a prize orchid, but for most it was only a temporary dream come true. Rare is the man who is destined to write; rare is he for whom it becomes his real calling and his real work, in rain or in shine, in sickness or in health. Writing is a very unusual business and few there are who are born to it."

This seems to be the meme of the week.  People writing who are unwilling to be real writers ie someone who invests, according to Konrath, 10,000 hours to perfecting his craft.  Konrath's guest poster said he's often asked how to effectively market an ebook but he is rarely asked how to become a better writer.  I can top that.  While I am often asked how to market, no one has ever asked me how to become a better writer.

Quite the reverse.  I am far more likely to have my advice attacked, to witness unearned self-confidence, raging arrogance and in general be treated as if I am stupid.  Why they ask for my input is beyond my ken.  (Ken!  Oh geez.  How do I even know that obscure word going back to Old English from the German verb kennen which means to know?!)  I don't have anything to prove so good luck poking a sharp stick at me.

Rise is being found and finally it went live on Amazon.  I spent a couple hours yesterday switching Sweeps back to itself on BN where it was Love After Lunch for a couple months.  Those changes went live already.  BN is so good at publishing things quickly.  Bravo to BN.  I thought it should be the same on both sites.  It really wasn't a case of test marketing or comparing, it was more like the complete lack of energy and desire to change it back.

I want to leave you today with a piece of filmic art.  This was created in 1899 by the Lumiere Brothers in France.  Each frame was hand tinted.  They had a commitment to their art, a desire to constantly improve the craft, the need to communicate.

No comments: