Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Giant Pumpkins

I don't understand the competitions to grow the largest anything.  The pumpkins are especially unnerving because they look like Adam Arkin playing that whale guy in the Mr Monk episode, a guy so huge, he can't get out of bed.
There are also competitions to grow the largest tomato.  I don't understand.  I already have trouble finishing a normal size tomato.  I don't grow large tomatoes for that reason.  If you can't put a tomato in the fridge to save it until later because the cold reduces the flavor quality, then I have to give it to the dogs.  Who are totally good with this, but still the point is I'm not finishing it.

This has nothing to do with writing.  Or does it?

Quality or quantity.  Life can be seen in a myriad of ways.  Will you grow a tomato so that it reaches 6 pounds and is aesthetically ugly or will you be pleased with a beautiful smaller tomato, which because of the size, all the goodness and taste is compressed?

It's all a contest and ultimately we are the only judges of ourselves while we're alive.  Good luck if there's something beyond this!  (I should throw in some commas because everyone has been accusing me--rightfully so-- of not using, enough, commas, in, my, writing.)

a Beauty King I grew from seeds from Brad Gates, Napa, California


No comments: