Friday, October 29, 2010

Crime and Television

OJ Simpson was the first time, that I can remember, television viewers being treated to a soap opera like blow by blow account of a crime.  And then of course the circus/trial.

Since then it's become an industry and a madhouse full of violent criminals and kooky television pundits.  I admit to tuning in Nancy Grace now and then to see what's the latest story.  We went from Lacey Peterson to Stacey Peterson and an uncountable number of little girls who disappear and Nancy insists it's disappear when I think most sensible people know they've been killed.

We're still hanging on the Caylee Anthony story.  Haleigh Cummings hasn't been found.  I forget (sorry) the little Florida girl who was lured into the drug addicts' trailer and was murdered.  Florida seems a hotbed of such stories, altho no region of the country hasn't had the media descend on it.

The worst for me is the recent one in North Carolina, Zarah Baker.  This little 10 year old had osteosarcoma, had her leg amputated, went deaf and still seemed to smile, even though her stepmother abused her for not walking more gracefully on her prosthetic leg.

I'm not suggesting that such things never happened 50 or 100 years ago, but people do seem more unmoored than ever before.  Violence and abuse is validated.  It's everywhere.  It's approved. 

Someone gave me a book to read over the last week.  It was not violent, it was supposed to be funny but it tripped my perimeter defenses and I told the author I wasn't capable of giving it a fair reading because of some of the elements in the story.

Sometimes you just have to say no.



No comments: