Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ruminations While Waiting For The Storm

Sure, another snow combo storm is predicted for today and tomorrow.  I've had enough of winter as I'm sure most people have.

I used to write for One Life To Live.  I have a peculiar history with this show as I watched it for years before I was hired.  That made it very easy to step in because I knew everything.  But every few years they take a bad misstep and I wind up quitting them.  When they killed off Dave Siegal I quit for years.  Then when they had a Dr. Mengele style whackjob implanting devices in Larry Wolek's brain, I quit for years.  I may quit now because it's just so poorly written.  I'm starting to miss the dialogue because I'm shrieking so loud.  I think audiences are extremely forgiving but you can't mistreat them forever.

Are soaps a reflection of the society or not?  I think they are.  Unfortunately they are reflecting a culture I'm not so crazy about.  When I was at Another World Betsey and I protested a teenage girl moving in with a late 20's doctor.  We said "Mothers across America are screaming." Last night on OLTL two teens were desperately attempting to have sex, the mother knows this is going on and is ok with it and I thought mothers across America are not screaming.  Couple yeah, but not enough to make the producers take notice.

There was an incident last week.  A young Catholic boy defaulted his wrestling match because his opponent was a girl.  One thing he said was so poignant.  "This is some man's future wife and he wouldn't want her touched in this manner."

I believe this is true and correct.  I also believe any man who will marry Cassy won't care.  She'll probably be atouched plenty before she gets married, if she bothers to do something as retro as getting married, because that's the way it is now.  Sex is commonplace to most young people now.  It's not sacred, it's not special, it's an activity. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority.  There are people irritated by the notion that she could be perceived like chattel (favorite word) and she's not a possession that can be sullied by a mere man.  It's her choice if she wants to wrestle or be touched.  It's none of any man's damn business.  Okay.  That is the other POV.

One thing I can say for sure, there were mothers across American screaming for Joel's phone number because that's just the lovely kind of young man their daughters deserve.

No comments: