Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Brief Cover Discussion

I had a retold Carolingian tale so I decided to take out all the Pre-Raphaelite art and publish it.  But I needed a cover.

 I found this



Obviously sort of Arts & Craftsy, William Morrisy,  tail end of the Pre-Raphaelites.  And from 1913 so in public domain.  Not perfect perhaps but then again, free and no one is going to come back complaining.

I had to take out the Capitol Building because it wasn't going to exist for another 900 or so years.  I had to photoshop out their text and replace it with mine.   I'm not sure what the big grey thing is that looks like a sheep but it's too hard to remove so it stays.  I did a minimal outer glow around the text to make it stand out from the background a little better than plain white did.

I like to stay with colors that already exist in the artwork.  You can easily duplicate any color that's there with the photoshop sampling tool.  That "orange" comes from her cloak.



I think it's successful and I mention it so you can see how simple a pretty attractive cover image can be. 

No comments: