Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Last Agent

This morning my agent and I parted ways.  I hoped he would be my last agent and he is but not in the way I expected.

My pal said agents are like the hula hoop.  Passe.
Certainly they are not required for digital publishing.
From a writer's perspective, everything that is wrong with the traditional publishing business is cured by digital.

In a business journal there was a longish article about Amazon driving the digital market.  It touched on the fact that print is declining while the trajectory of digital is improving.  I understand the reluctance some people have to this reality.  I feel it this morning.  Much of my life has been devoted to finding the right agent.  Having the agent.  Being annoyed with the agent because they won't do their job.  (To make it clear, the agent's job is to submit the client's work, if they're not doing that, they're not doing their job.  It's really simple and you might be surprised at how few agents can rouse themselves to submit the work in a timely fashion.)

I am doing a renewal of my website because it was so out-of-date.  I'm sure it's not as fancy as it could be but if all the links work, then I'm practically a genius in my own eyes.  Let me just say I'm using Expression Web and it's a terrific program.  I cannot explain how it can be a Microscoff product and not create the hairpulling hassles I usually accord MS.  But to be fair, so many people hate Vista and I've been running it for about 3 years with the only problem being that I don't know where to look for stuff I could find in XP.

To any veteran who might wind up here, or to any family of a vet, we all owe you a debt of gratitude.  Thank you for your service to this country.

No comments: