Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day of Mourning, Or Not

Today, unexpectedly, I got an email from the production editor of the novel being published next year.  Just a couple final questions 8 weeks after I turned in the corrected galleys.  After much upset and gnashing of teeth, I realized this is probably the last book I will ever tradpub.  It's a significant day.  It's the end of a lifelong journey.   I certainly can't imagine submitting anything on my own in the future.  Why do that when there's literally years lag time?

Later today (I thought it would be already), I put Bad Apple on Kindle.  Then I do Sweeps, I guess, if I can figure a cover.  Months ago I said I had enough work facing me that I wouldn't be free until the spring of  '11.  It might even be into the summer, if I'm ever "free" in the same way again.

I don't have anything smart to say, any good advice to offer except don't view my experience as somehow being out of the ordinary.  As much as I like to think of myself as extra-ordinary, in this, I'm not.  The only thing that might set me apart is I'm very willing to give up tradpub while other writers seem to be reluctant. 

La Roue de  la Fortune

The question is raised.  In life, when is the right time to leave?  When do you know for certain things aren't going to get any better?  Are you better off leaving just a little bit early rather than a little too late?  History abounds with examples where people gambled wrongly and lost.

No comments: